Monday, September 30, 2013

Math you see

This year, we are using a new math curriculum Math-U-See.

 I remember doing "good" in math when I was in school, mostly because I could memorized very well. But teaching this curriculum to the little girls made me realized the logic behind what I have memorized, and that in my opinion is a good thing!

A friend give me the Alpha curriculum, dvd, teacher's manual and student work and test books. We have been using it  for a little while and so far are liking it. I like that the kids have a chance to manipulate blocks and making connections in their brain at the same time. The instructions are clear and you can work with your child own pace, not need to hurry things up.

Here is a short clip explaining the Alpha curriculum, for those who are interested in learning more.




Btw the guy talks about letting the kids play with the blocks at home, I do have leggos and duplos for playing, those little block will  only be used during math class. I really don't want to loose them, they will be use over and over again.

 Hopefully at the end of our school year, will be able to give you a fuller review about it.

How about you all, have you tried Math-U-See?

4 comments:

  1. I haven't tried it personally, though I have heard good things about it in the earlier grades. I have heard that it is not that great for when they get beyond the earlier levels of math. I don't know if that's correct or not--just what I've heard! I think it's great that they can make sense of what they are learning in math.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so far it's working for us, but I agree might need to see how the upper grades goes

      Delete
  2. My Mom used Math-u-see with me and a lot of my siblings at one point or another in our homeschool! And I remember playing with the blocks outside of school time, too! :P I didn't know they still made it--that seems like forever ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that it's been around for a while, so many people have tested the method before us :-)

      Delete